Whether you’re an amateur sports enthusiast or a top-flight professional, anyone who plays sports is all too familiar with its demands and risks. Everyone is subject to the same types of common sports injuries due to main causes such as failure to warm up properly, repetitive motions, forceful impacts, and over-training.
Understanding Common Sports Injuries for Prevention
While the aforementioned risks shouldn’t deter you from engaging in a healthy, active lifestyle, being aware of the common sports injuries associated with these can reduce the risk of you getting hurt. It is not surprising for trained professionals to conduct chiropractic adjustments very often for the following injuries:
- Sprain – It occurs in the joints when ligaments, the tissue which attaches bone to bone, are stretched too far or torn. The most common sprains are in wrists or ankles, which may lead to painful swelling and bruising, and the temporary inability to move your joints.
- Strain – It occurs when a muscle or tendon (the tissue that connects muscles to bones) is pulled too far and torn. These commonly take place in the hamstrings or back, after which it may painfully swell or spasm, and you may even feel the temporary inability to move the muscle.
- Knee injury – It occurs when the bone is bruised or when cartilage and ligaments are damaged.
- Fracture – It occurs when extreme force is exerted against a bone. Common sites include the wrist, ankle, and hip.
How to Prevent Common Sports Injuries
Some basic steps to prevent a sports injury include:
- Developing a fitness plan that includes strength training, cardiovascular exercise, and flexibility.
- Alternating between exercising different muscle groups and exercising every other day.
- Implementing warm-up exercises to improve the ability of muscles to contract and perform.
- Wearing the right shoes that may correct certain foot problems, as well as gear and equipment that provide proper support.
- Properly cooling down after exercise or sports, which should take twice as long as warm-ups.
How Can a Chiropractor Help with Common Sports Injuries?
Apart from enhancing your performance and preventing future problems, chiropractors also alleviate a wide range of conditions and speed up the entire healing process after any kind of sports injury. They’re skilled in figuring out where needs adjusting and administering specific treatment methods according to an individual’s unique needs. In fact, many professional sports teams have one or more chiropractors on staff during training and playing seasons to help prevent and treat injuries. Moreover, unlike painkilling drugs, a chiropractor gets behind the root cause of an injury after carrying out a full examination about your sporting life, medical history, posture, and lifestyle rather than just treating the injury by itself.
Why Visit a Chiropractic Clinic to Treat Common Sports Injuries?
Are you eager to get back to your favorite sport? By far, the most common mistake injured people make is delaying seeking help, thinking the problem will fade away on its own. When it comes to the long-term health and safety of your body, choose to get professional help when in doubt. Our experts at RejuvenX are always glad to explain in detail our approach to treating injuries.
If you have any questions about our chiropractic services at RejuvenX, feel free to contact us today.