Providing benefits that range from increased energy to pain relief, one of today’s most effective and natural treatments is chiropractic care. Your overall wellness and health can be improved by simply getting regular chiropractic adjustments. Many times, after just one visit, patients report feeling refreshed and revitalized – new and improved!
Sometimes, for those new to chiropractic treatment, there is a period of time your body may need to get used to the treatments. After your first adjustment, in fact, for a few days, you may experience symptoms related to your body releasing toxins.
Is this really a problem? How can you manage it? What exactly is a toxic release? Let’s explore the answers to those questions.
Toxic Release – What Is It?
We all have toxins in our bodies. When chiropractic adjustment is received, there is a final release of the body’s formerly locked up toxins. This is not a bad thing, however! Why? Because it signifies your body is being cured and cleansed. The temporary downside, unfortunately, may be symptoms of toxic release.
One side effect, and more will be discussed later, can be symptoms similar to a cold or the flu. These will only impact the way you feel for a brief period, however.
Toxic Release – Why Does It Happen?
Toxic release may occur as manipulations are made in the spine and joints. In the spine, chiropractic treatment clears out interferences and negative subluxations. Your body takes a short period of time, as it adjusts to those treatment dysfunctions, to process spinal function improvement. Part of the adjustment process can sometimes be toxic release.
Is This a Common Occurrence?
First of all, not all chiropractic patients will experience toxic relief. It is, however, not out of the question. Some level of toxic release is experienced in approximately 15% to 20% of patients receiving chiropractic care.
If, after your first visit, you do experience toxic release, don’t be discouraged. Toxic release, as you continue to receive treatment, will discontinue being an issue. Your body will function optimally, thanks to your regular adjustments, so there will be fewer body toxins.
Toxic Release Symptoms
From person-to-person, it may feel different while your body releases toxins. Common symptoms, for many who experience it, are as follows:
- Tight muscles
- Night sweats
- Flu-like or cold-like symptoms
Managing The Side Effects Of Toxic Release
Here are some recommendations to better handle toxic release symptoms:
- Eat healthy – For a healthy body, nutrition is important. This is particularly the case after a chiropractic treatment.
- Exercise regularly – You can improve the way you feel by walking or doing light yoga, even though you may be tired.
- Get plenty of rest – Especially after an adjustment, it’s important to get a good night’s sleep. You can help your system improve, and toxic release to run its course, by sleeping as much as possible for several days following your treatment.
- Drink lots of water – For getting rid of toxins, and for your body to function normally and healthily, hydration is key. Stay hydrated and be sure to drink plenty of water. Truth be told, this is a good idea every day of your life. Hydration is essential, no matter what.
If you have any questions about chiropractic treatment, or feel like it’s time to schedule an appointment, please do not hesitate to contact us.