We have all experienced a stiff neck from time to time, particularly if you have been sitting at a desk for hours. This usually resolves by itself after some time and with home remedies. However, if you have been in an accident or fall, treating a stiff neck after trauma is not as straightforward. This is because it can be linked to a more serious complication such as herniated discs or a concussion, which will require medical attention. In this article, we share more with you about treating a stiff neck after trauma.
Types of Trauma
You may be wondering exactly what is meant by “trauma”. Below are some of the common incidents that happen to such patients:
- Auto accidents, where a victim is hit directly from behind while in a stationary position. This can result in whiplash, which is the pain, soreness and stiffness felt in the neck and back.
- High-impact sports collisions, such as in hockey. When a player suffers a serious hit in the neck, back or head, it’s best for them to be checked out by a medical professional. In addition, players who are suffering from a stiff neck should not be playing.
- Falls from a height, even a relatively low one, has the potential to cause concussions.
- Recreational sports accidents that involve sports performed at high speeds including skiing and snowboarding can cause serious injuries, even if symptoms do not present immediately.
Having a stiff neck in itself may not be a serious cause for concern. However, there are many complications that can be attached to having a stiff neck:
- Herniated discs: When a cervical disc is damaged, it can leak inflammatory proteins onto nearby nerves and muscles.
- Concussion: If the spine has been damaged during an accident, chances are the brain is also suffering from some effects. Symptoms to watch out for include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, confusion and any other changes in mental state.
- Cervical spine fracture: The cervical spine is made out of seven vertebral bones, stacked one after the other on top of each other. If one gets fractured but this does not result in a spinal cord injury, it may be some time before the condition is noticed. This can lead to further complications down the road if not treated as soon as possible, including possible paralysis and bone infections.
Come to RejuvenX for Neck Pain Treatment
If you suffer from a stiff neck after trauma, you do not have to live in pain or suffer in silence. RejuvenX can provide you with the neck pain treatment you need to regain mobility and diminish the pain, discomfort, soreness and/or stiffness you experience. You can be assured that we always strive to understand your individual condition, needs and concerns before recommending a treatment plan that will work for you. If you have any queries or would like to schedule an appointment, please feel free to contact us.