Did you know that untreated whiplash can result in serious complications down the road, possibly even requiring surgery in later life? That’s right. Following a car accident, it’s always best to get checked out by a licensed doctor and chiropractor to ascertain whether you are suffering from whiplash and if so, get started on a treatment regime. In this article, we share with you more about the long-term effects of untreated whiplash.
Whiplash occurs when the neck is whipped back and forth, most often after a car accident. However, it can also be the result of a sports injury or some other form of trauma. When the muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the neck become misaligned due to a rapid back and forth movement, whiplash has occurred. Leaving it untreated can result in chronic neck pain, stiffness in movement, and other more serious consequences.
Side Effects of Whiplash
One important thing to note is that the symptoms of whiplash can take weeks to show up. You may experience some of these side effects with whiplash:
- Difficulty sleeping: We frequently change positions while sleeping, and this can be next to impossible when your neck is sore and in pain. The result is difficulty falling asleep, which can impact your day-to-day life.
- Headaches: It is common for whiplash patients to experience headaches and migraines. The pain can last for a few days and this condition can plague you for the rest of your life.
- Anxiety and depression: The pain caused by whiplash can limit what you are able to do in your everyday life. The inability to accomplish tasks you used to do on your own can lead to anxiety and depression, having a negative impact on work and personal relationships.
- Loss of motion and/or stiffness: You may find it impossible to turn your neck without experiencing intense pain. When that’s the case, your range of motion can become severely limited.
Besides the side effects listed above, untreated whiplash can result in more serious consequences that include:
- Chronic neck pain
- Chronic arthritis
- Degenerative Disc Disease, where the vertebrae in your spine start to break down, contributing to weakness, pain, and numbness
- Tinnitus, a constant ringing in the ears
- … and more!
Because whiplash is a soft tissue injury, it can be taken less seriously than bone fractures. It is important to get whiplash treated as soon as it is diagnosed to prevent further complications.
Start on the Path to Recovery with RejuvenX
RejuvenX offers car accident aftercare services to help patients suffering from whiplash, muscle pain and soreness, and other injuries. With proper medical attention and physical therapy, you can recover from whiplash in as little as three months. Of course, this will depend on the severity of your condition. Our hardworking and experienced professionals at RejuvenX are dedicated to educating our patients on proper spine and joint care techniques. Please contact us today to schedule an appointment and get started on the path to recovery.